The handling of groups is somewhat limited.

In fact, Geometry inputs in general are somewhat limited. there needs to be
filters in ICE to access components of the geometry input, by individual
objects, or clusters.
Sometimes, I just want to get the closest location of an arm, not the whole
object.
Or sometimes, I just want to get information on the closest points that contain
attribute-A, not the whole lot and sift through an array, bogging the whole
scene down,

Yes and sometimes, you just want an attribute of one of the objects in the
group, without having to manually select it.

I think adding this should be a real priority. I run into it all the time.