Hi Thomas,

thanks for pointing this out!

i'm painfully aware of the segmentation fault when you don't have the hostname in /etc/hosts. in my case:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4) <- segfault 127.0.0.1 localhost wireframe localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 <- soft starts, but freezes after splashscreen

also you need to have /etc/hostname (which doesn't exist by default in fedora) containing the hostname, but i've forgotten why exactly, some other error.

i agree that autodesk really should provide a _detailed_ step by step installation for a program that breaks so easily and is so fragile to set up like softimage. it feels like an extremely buggy alphaversion...like.. not tested at all. considering that you have to collect all the installation information from various places from the net (inkl. many non-audodesk sites) makes it even worse. and the fact that the installation medium is an ntfs-formatted usb-stick that _can't_ be openened on the very system that is recommended (fedora14) really is just the tip of the iceberg.

i wonder why i paid money for this?

:(

cheers!
chris