Let me add - without having to resort to using the SDK, which I already know I
can do.

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Matt Lind
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:58 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Localizing a shared texture projection

Have a unique one that pops up from time to time, but one of those things I
keep forgetting what the solution is.

One of our environment artists has created a very large scene consisting of
25,000+ objects.  Many of which are duplicated from a common source object.  By
default, when duplicating an object Softimage reuses/shares the texture
projection(s) between source and duplicate as a means of efficiency.

The problem is she needs to animate the texture projection's translation on
only a few of the duplicates.  However, keying any parameter in the Texture
Projection Def property causes all objects in the scene (derived from the same
source object) to have it's textures animated the same way.  We've looked in
all the menus, tried freezing projections and so on, but cannot find a way to
localize the texture projection to the duplicated object to break the
relationship.  We have resorted to a workaround of using the copy/paste UV
tools in the texture editor - which is OK if we only had to do this for one
object.  Unfortunately she must do this for many objects and this workaround is
quite laborious.

We tried CTRL + dragging the cluster between objects since they have identical
topology, but softimage only copied the cluster, not the texture projection
inside of it.  So we tried CTRL + dragging the texture projection onto the
duplicate which copied the projection, but still shared the texture Projection
def property underneath.

Anybody remember how to localize a texture projection so it isn't shared with
anything else in the scene?

Matt