Here's a technique I use for this kind of situation:

   1. Create a control object (a null or simple curve) and wire it up to
   the Bend operator using an expression where the y-value of the control
   drives the Bend amount.
   2. Select the deformed GEO and the control object and duplicate as many
   times as you need.
   3. Each duplicated control object should now automatically be linked to
   its corresponding duplicated GEO object.
   4. Draw a 4-6 point curve starting at origin and moving to the right
   5. Select all the Control objects in the order they were created, and
   path constrain them to the curve
   6. When the contraint PPG pops open, type L(0,100) in the percentage
   field (this will linearly distribute all the controls down the length of
   the curve).

   - Now, your curve represents the distribution of your bend across all of
   your objects.
   - Animate the curve, and it animates all of your scene objects.
   - This works for all kinds of situations.
   - Try using a parametric curve constraint instead of a path constraint,
   if you don't want auto smoothing on the result.

-Bradley