Here, I've recreated the problem in the simplest possible setup, no weird
rotation order and it's centered on the null, just draw a region to see the
problem.

File: http://www.stopp.se/arvid/motionblurbug.scn

Different rotation speeds of the ball yield different arcs though, so
sometimes you'd get lucky to hit a number that doesn't show the problem,
which is why the problem appear at random for us. The problem was solved by
skinning the geo to the null instead of parenting it, which invokes
deformation motion blur, but the scene gets more complex and the rig gets
heavier.

Please see if I've missed something in my settings, I'd love to solve the
problem without skinning!

Cheers