I spoke to someone at Boxx, they have done some tests and the dual Xeon 24 cores are superior to the dual AMD Opteron 32 cores

Leoung

On 7/31/2012 6:16 AM, pete...@skynet.be wrote:
Sylvain wrote:

>> 35 blades total with 14 dedicated to nuke (old ones that doesnt have enough ram and power for arnold)

>> recycle your old blade for comp! ...

just jumping in
I am surprised about this – as we do the exact opposite.
we prioritize the best renderblades for Nuke, most with 24Gb ram, some more – and about any old blade will do for 3D rendering. (10-12Gb is plenty)

the logic is that -during working hours- the rendered composite is what artists are actually waiting for  to move their work forward – while 3D sequence rendering can usually plough on in the background. We’ve verified the 3D render on a few stills (that can even be rendered local if the artist so chooses) so we don’t really lose time waiting on the full sequence.

we’re using Deadline, and something we really push with Nuke rendering is “concurrent tasks” – so each blade is rendering several frames at once – at which point having a lot of ram is crucial. This reduces total task time almost linearly – eg 4 tasks at once means the total render of a sequence will be almost 4 times faster.
Another factor is that nuke rendering puts more load on the network – so we rather have a small amount of very performant blades for that, and a large amount of less performant ones for 3D rendering.
Something which no doubt comes into play too, is that we are not doing beauty rendering – so we have a lot of discreet passes, none of them very slow to render – in return, our comps are more demanding, with the simplest of shots having 30 odd passes.

So yeah, best blades for compositing here all the way.

As for Leoung’s original question – for 3D rendering, you can never have enough cores – assuming your renderer uses them well (which mr mostly does) – so I’d be tempted by the 32 cores. That’s double the 16 cores – it’s bound to make a real difference. Only downside is that for those tasks that aren’t multithreaded you have a lot of cores idling.
Wouldn’t it be cool if they designed these muticore machines with one “master” core, that would have very high clock speed, and a lot of “slave” cores that kick in for multithreading? Fast pre-render + fast render = Smile.

just my 0.02 eurocent.