From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] on behalf of adrian wyer
[adrian.w...@fluid-pictures.com]
Sent: 22 November 2012 17:50
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: unmergable polys

well almost....

bought a model off TurboSquid (yeah i know, should have known better etc etc)

getting some very strange behaviour!  there are lots of triangles (thanks
3DSMax!) but many of them are showing as open edges

normally running a weld boundary edges with a suitable falloff fixes all but
the most stubborn problems like this, but with this
model it has NO EFFECT!  i am having to go round and use the move/weld tool
manually on every face! and on some of them it takes 3 or 4 goes to get them to
merge

i had a good look at the geometry, pulling apart faces/vertices, export as
vanilla OBJ and re-import etc... there are no double faces, *most* of the
normals are facing
the same way.... weird... never seen anything like it

surely once it's been through the wringer of softimage--->OBJ--->softimage any
user data etc is gone, we're down to base polys?

anyway, just needed to vent, back to my manual welding job....

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
75-77 Margaret St.
London
W1W 8SY
++44(0) 207 580 0829

adrian.w...@fluid-pictures.com<UrlBlockedError.aspx>
www.fluid-pictures.com<UrlBlockedError.aspx>

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71