From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Szabolcs Matefy
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:54 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Question about vertex normals, and move component

Hey Folks

Does anybody know (developers listen!) if the move component tool relies on the
vertex normal?

We have a funny issue. We have a mesh and a clone of the mesh. We must maintain
the connection between to two meshes to make sure that the topology is
identical. We alter the clone using push, and move component, because this mesh
must encapsulate the original mesh. It's a Cage in game dev terms
Now the thing is that, if I triangulate the source mesh, the clone mesh gets
distorted. I think it's because of the vertex normal that might change during
the triangulation, but I would like to know a bit more about it, since it
affects our entire workflow. I'm also curious, if user normal can affect that
(apparently not, but I'd like to heat a developer comment)

To repro the "issue" just make a cube, clone it, then apply a push on the clone
with a reasonable push amount, the triangulate the original mesh. We have to
triangulate the object, because at this moment FBX exporter has no option for
triangulation, so it's up to the user to do it.

Cheers

Szabolcs
___
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required please request a hard-copy version. Crytek GmbH -
http://www.crytek.com - Grüneburgweg 16-18, 60322 Frankfurt - HRB77322
Amtsgericht Frankfurt a. Main- UST IdentNr.: DE20432461 - Geschaeftsfuehrer:
Avni Yerli, Cevat Yerli, Faruk Yerli