You could use events eg OnNewScene.
Or create your own presets?

I'd avoid editing the factory SPDLs and presets (I think you can probably find a number of posts from Luc-Eric about defaults and spdls and the factory location)

For shaders, you can use events to override SPDL defaults with a OnCreateShaderDef
http://xsisupport.com/2012/02/27/overriding-spdl-defaults/