Years ago I rigged some braids to deform by low res poly strips. There is a
simpler way. Cage is overkill.

You could constrain a null per polygon (cluster) and turn on all the
options (in the Constrain->Object to Cluster constraint) so it locks to the
poly orientation well. You can then use those nulls as an envelope for your
proper mesh. The default weighting with Envelope->Smooth Envelope Weights
and some minor slider fiddling will work pretty much perfect.

You can also build the poly constraint in ICE kinematics too, if you like,
though you won't see any improvements as ICE only excels when
iterating/multithreading over a big dataset

Of course you can build your own cage deform — the factory "Hull Deformer"
isn't very good — but you will find out soon enough that it doesn't
interpolate and although your geo will follow, it will only bend as nice as
the number of divisions in your low res stripes, forcing you to increase
them, but then what's the point, right?

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

   -- Alan