I find that Softimage and other 3D apps work well in VMs when the VM
is running a Windows OS.  But I've had no success running Softimage
and other 3D applications in a VM when it is running Linux.

These days I prefer VirtulaBox over VMWare, but that is a personal
preference thing.

Best regards,
-ben

--