I'm not surpsised it crashes as the code it tries to execute has been pulled
away from under it's feet when the plugin was unloaded. The only thing I can
think of is implementing the loading/unloading in a different plugin (as part
of the same workgroup or addon) that implements a timer event with a minimal
delay and a repetition counter of 1. Unloading the menu plugin would then arm
the timer in the second plugin (which does not get unloaded) , making sure the
menu plugin is reloaded through the executed timer code.
Because timers are processed as part of the regular event loop (afaik), and
there is only one such loop, it is always executed after everything else has
been executed (except other, later armed timer events), which should avoid any
race conditions. That's at least what's been working for me in the past for
related stuff.

In the past, I've been able to reset custom Menus by isolating their init
callbacks into a Plugin, then running:

Application.UnloadPlugin(MenuPath)
Application.LoadPlugin(MenuPath)

which effectively resets the Menu.

Now I have a situation where I need to be able to rebuild the Menu by
running a callback item that lives within that same Menu.
Obviously, Softimage doesn't like this, and crashes out to desktop if I try
to Unload the Plugin from which the Plugin itself is being called.

However, I thought there might be ways around this. I tried creating an
Event that watches for when a Command has completed. Then I could run a
command from that Menu, and it would be the Event, and not the Menu
callback that does the Plugin Unload/Load. Sadly, this is also leading to a
crash to desktop.

Does anyone have a strategy for me to try?

-B

Stefan Kubicek                   Co-founder
          keyvis digital imagery
         Wehrgasse 9 - GrĂ¼ner Hof
           1050 Vienna  Austria
        Phone:    +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at ---
--  This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--