To add to the subject, is there a Redshift benchmark with different graphic cards ?
Will be fun to have renderfarm only filled with graphic cards :)
-"Where's your renderfarm ?"
-"It's the little box on floor..."

Le 18/03/2013 12:49, Stefan Kubicek a écrit :
Hi Nicolas,

I'm curious in how far GPU memory impacts render time. To put it differently: Assuming the amount of cores is what makes the biggest difference in render time, what's the expected speed differences comparing a graphics card with 1gb to one equipped with 2gb or more?

Cheers,

    Stefan

Hi Mirko,

Redshift does use the CPU for a couple things here and there so the CPU is
not irrelevant to the performance, but it's not a big contributor.
For example, the RT hierarchy construction (construction of the
acceleration structure for raytracing) is done on the CPU as is texture
conversion to our optimized tile format.  Also the screen-space adaptive
tessellation and some rebalancing of tree data structures for the
point-based techniques run on the CPU.
All in all though the GPU spec is what is really going to make the
difference for Redshift, assuming we're not talking about a 486 or
something :)

So yeah I encourage you to dust off that old PC, pop in the GTX580 and take
it for a spin.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-Nicolas

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Mirko Jankovic