From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Tim Leydecker
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 15:36
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Finalgathering made less frustrating: mx_fgshooter

Hi guys,

there´s a lot to be desired about mental ray´s implementation and user
friendliness. I don´t even want to start about having at least an in depth
documentation including practical examples.

Nevertheless, there´s yet another node that may come in handy but has
probably slipped your radar:

mip_fgshooter

It is supposed to be used to add finalgather calculations from additional
cameras to your current frame´s fgmap or your *.fgmap in general.

I can´t express how frustrated I am about the implementation in Softimage.

If you ever had hoped to having to figure out how to enter 4x4 matrixes and
get the thing working yourself, brace for a lot of frustration.

Or use this implementation. Thank you Denis Belyatsky!

http://maxfoxlab.com/mx_fgshooter.html

Hats off.

If you push his implementation hard, you´ll notice the camera_shooter_cams
will always have to point to the world origin to give realiable values for
their resulting 4x4 matrixes entered into the render cam´s mip_fgshooter
item list.

Sofar, I haven´t been able to verify if that is a limitation of using their
[cameraname].kineGlobal as the source for the 4x4 matrix or if that is due
to the way the mip_fgshooter node interprets coordinates?

In any case, Denis plugin is a great helper in actually making flickerfree
FG available to the average user who may sure not be able to derive and
properly set a 4x4 matrix himself.

In terms of useability, I would have expected mip_fg_shooter to have a list
entry field where you pick your cameras and that´s it. Like Lightlinking for
selective light, even SRT coordinates would have been better but transform
matrixes, really?

That´s defeating the whole point of keeping it simple unless one could drag
and drop a camera into the Rendertree and at least connect it directly
there. Which you can´t...

Cheers,

tim