Group comments are like embedded laTEX doco in your code. Something you do
when everything is done, or close to, and in good order for somebody else
to pick up, or to remind yourself of this or that hack or workaround or
creating visual sets inside the graph.

It was never a very good comment on the fly thing, it would only become one
if nodes could be tagged as part of a group comment with an ID that would
resize to their screen BBox without having to be managed manually.

Compounds, however, I find are an even worse way to keep track of things
while working in more cases than not.
The rigidity and messy-ness of port handling makes it so.

I have some default empty compounds with a number of pre-existing ports
hooked to pass through nodes I load in for what you describe, and that kind
of makes them useful to organize work while in progress, but the inability
to view explode them without exploding the actual subgraph makes them
tricky, especially when you start nesting.

A simple shortcut with ctrl _ mouse wheel in and ctrl + mouse wheel out to
hover on a compound and explode/implode it temporarily only visually would
go a million miles in those regards, as would auto-pass through nodes on
ports to prevent the stupid inability to connect/disconnect them once
connected, would save a lot of clutter.

All in all, ICE still works better than well as an editor. I've done a lot
of work in ICE in the last couple years, some of the recent graphs I had to
produce are nothing short of massive by any standard (talking hundreds of
nodes and a painful level of discipline to keep things well over real-time
involving all kind of hacky workarounds and manipulations), and very rarely
I had some of the OMFG moments I've previously experience wrestling some
hypergraph assemblies.

Maya was in sore need of this, and it will hopefully overcome its original
"yet another view not quite fully replacing any" status soon, and then move
on to get the fabled MayaFX engine for its evaluation.  That would make
Maya not completely crap to use, and given the way things might go in the
future, if I have to use Maya regularly again on my next job I would very
much like it not to suck the same mileage of donkey penis it's inhaling
currently :p

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!