Hiring status is up to them and no doubt constantly changing, and but certainly
the Mill, stereoD, Psyop MassMarket, Royale and PLF are likely to be very
interested in skilled/experienced Softimage peeps and I don't think they would
mind me saying so. I'm hesitant to name some of the others since I'm not sure
any studios in particular really want me announcing their interest in soft but
they are there, honest. :) Whether they are seeking staff I can't say since I'm
a freelancer by choice.

Re: working conditions and the area, well they are both nice. I rather prefer
NyC but that may just be the novelty since I'm out in LA far more often. For
non-us citizens visas can be a real problem though.

The work is out there for sure. Maybe it's just because I ended up in a lot of
Rolodexes, that I'm vocal about being a freelancer and everyone wants to hire
by project now, or that I'm pretty visible online but I get a lot of requests
for availability and from surprising places. The freelancers I chat with by
mail seem to be doing well, too, for the most part. It's all very word of
mouth, I haven't edited a reel in years I guess I'm very fortunate to have
skilled folks say nice stuff about me (whom I probably don't thank as much as I
should, thanks guys.)