As far as I know the common standard is the normal at the sample for Y, the
projection of the first edge of the corner on the normal plane for X, and
then the cross product between the two for Z, as a 3x3 matrix.
In object space (like for local shapes) it's similar enough with the normal
for the point, the projection of the first edge on that plane, and the
cross between the two.

In texture space you like will need the former as pointperpoly is usually
accounted for instead of artificially merged points.

I can't promise this is how it works internally, it's just how I've done it
in the past and what every (rare) piece of related doco in other softwares
seems to work it out, but it's at least worth a try I reckon and see if you
get a match. It should be relatively simple to at least try, generate a
map, and then run a pixel diff to see variance.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!