Ok thanks everyone, looks like it was a good idea to be cautious about
mixing versions.. ;)
I had previously removed all images/clips from the scene but didn't notice
they were still in that repro file.
It was a Quicktime MOV that caused the crash and knowing this is great news
for the render farm!

We're also going to switch to 2014 SP2 soon but have to migrate a few
scripts and plugins first.

Thanks again,
Michael