Everything is CG, some people were talking about stop motion after the
first trailer release,
but they were just abused by the extraordinary work did by the team :)

The purpose of the face rig was to simplify the select > move > keyframe
workflow and the hierarchies to the maximum.
So instead of having a lots of control object to drive the curves we
decided to work directly with the curves (which has to be bezier ones ).
Shape animation wasn't an option either, as we needed more flexibilityity.

Actually there was 3 levels of manipulation:
1- the curve itself fot SRT
2- the soft controls basic and predefined shaping mostly driven by ICE
3 -A custom manipulation tool was built that was kind of like the tweak
tool with extra options for fast and
direct point manipulation (click> drag, without selection).
But instead of moving the points, it was updating per point translation
parameters
then a custom C++ operator was reading those parameters to drive the points.
another operators was doing the curves offsetting to give thickness.

The curve had some color and other properties used by a realtime
shaderapplied on the heads.
And that's pretty much all, I hope you'll enjoy the movie!

Cheers
-A

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos
http://www.cappuccino-films.com

2014-01-27 David Gallagher <davegsoftimagel...@gmail.com>

> Great work. Excited about this! My children were sure this was a
> stop-motion movie. (heh)
>

> On 1/27/2014 8:13 AM, Alan Fregtman wrote:
>
> Nice!! Great work, animals. :)
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Sofronis Efstathiou <
> sefstath...@bournemouth.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  With loads of Softimage goodness!
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N9jr0FqYMk
>>

>> Really looking forward to this, Will done Animal Logic!
>>

>> Sofronis Efstathiou
>>
>> Postgraduate Framework Leader and BFX Competition and Festival Director
>>
>> Computer Animation Academic Group
>>
>> *National Centre for Computer Animation*
>>

>> Email: sefstath...@bournemouth.ac.uk
>>

>> Tel: +44 (0) 1202 965805 <%2B44%20%280%29%201202%20965805>
>>

>> Profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/sofronisefstathiou
>>

>> Student Work:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/NCCA3DAnimation
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/NCCADigitalFX
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/NCCAAnimation
>>

>> [image: Description: Description:
>> C:\Users\sefstathiou\Pictures\nccalogo.jpg]<http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/>
>>   [image: Description: Description: C:\Users\sefstathiou\Documents\My
>> Dropbox\Work_Files\NCCA\VFXandAnimation_competition\BFX_website\BFX_Website\bfx_logo_facebook.png]<http://www.bfxfestival.com/>
>>

>> [image: Description: Description:
>> http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/Images/QueensAwardLogo.jpg]
>>

>> Awarded for world-class computer animation teaching
>>
>> with wide scientific and creative applications
>>

>>     BU is a Disability Two Ticks Employer and has signed up to the
>> Mindful Employer charter. Information about the accessibility of University
>> buildings can be found on the BU DisabledGo
>> webpages<http://www.disabledgo.com/en/org/bournemouth-university>
>>
>> This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and
>> may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in
>> error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be
>> copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.
>>
>> Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
>> necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary
>> companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or
>> its subsidiary companies via email.
>>
>> --
>> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and
>> is