Git is really bad for large binary files. Repositories tend to become very slow. Versioning, local branches and cherry-pick style functionality however is very powerful. I recommend to use something like git-annex (http://git-annex.branchable.com/) or git-fat. The git-bin implementation can be very useful as well for multi site
projects, using an amazon s3 for synchronization.

-H