is it too late to add my email for MODO?

here it is

jclausin...@yahoo.com

On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:20 AM, Perry Harovas <perryharo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tim, thank you so much!
Great explanation, and thanks for taking the time to explain.

Here is more info:
I also found that these three videos are VERY well put together to describe
these concepts in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6sGw7AB-WiKWHUgpXwWgg

The one called SHADER TREE FIGHT (linked below) is about 30 minutes, and really
goes in depth explaining the concept behind the modo Shader Tree.
I watched it this morning, and already feel far more comfortable in modo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUGaS7AdQw

Hope you all find theses as useful as I did...

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM, David Rivera <activemotionpictu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Thank you Tim. that´s a lifesaver regarding XSI/MODO mentality concerning
passes.
>Wow. There´s much to mine on.  hehhehe.
>

>David Rivera
>3D Compositor/Animator
>LinkedIN
>Behance
>VFX Reel
>

>On Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:29 AM, Tim Crowson
><tim.crow...@magneticdreams.com> wrote:
>
>By the way, if any of you get into Modo's render passes, you need to be sure
>you understand what they are. The first thing you want to do is to turn off
>'Auto-Add'. Just do it. Otherwise you'll shoot yourself later, once you
>understand what passes are....
>
>So .... Passes.....
>
>In Modo, parameters are called 'channels'. You change a value
    anywhere, and you've changed a channel. Passes are containers for channel
values. You need to let that sink in. Passes are containers for channel values.
This means that you could very well have a camera animated one way in Pass A,
and the same camera animated in a totally different way in Pass B. This is
fundamentally different to how XSI does things. Now the workflow for doing
overrides and partitioning is not as fluid as it is in Soft (and I've opened
bugs in the bug tracking system for this), but you need to recognize the raw
power behind what the system offers: on a per-pass basis, you can store
completely different values for parameters.

>Now... if you have Auto-Add on.... and you're in a pass... any
    changes you make to channels (move a camera, tweak a light) get
    stored ONLY IN THAT PASS. Coming from XSI, you're accostumed to
    moving the camera around and it be the same camera position for all
    passes. But since Modo's passes are containers for unique channel
    values, you can have the camera be in a different place entirely
    depending on the pass. And if you have Auto-Add on, your work will
    only be local to that pass! You can always push the changes from
    that pass back to the default state, but it's better to just disable
    Auto-Add in the first place.

--

Perry Harovas
203-448-7206

http://www.TheAfterImage.com

-24 years experience
-Co-Author of "Mastering Maya"
-Member of the Visual Effects Society (VES)