If I were a modeler, animator, or lighter, AND I was absolved of all TD
responsibilities, I would absolutely love Maya.  This is the vast majority
of the artist experience.  It is being in an established shop with tools
already in place to get your work done or a team of TDs to make said tools.
 I'm surrounded by happy animators, modelers, and lighters. If they hit a
problem, they just submit a ticket and a magic email appears asking them to
restart Maya to receive the new goodies.

For non-departmentalized facilities where one artist need to wear all hats
and FX artists, the Maya experience is a completely different one.

Maya is the application I have the deepest knowledge in, but even with a
medium to shallow working knowledge in Softimage or Houdini, I find myself
being more productive over time in those application as a generalist/TD
than in Maya alone.

If I had a nickel for questions starting with... "In Maya, can you..."  The
answer is always yes.  Getting to that "yes" more often than not is really
painful.

-Lu