I believe to have seen a different survey not too long ago that spoke a bit
more in favor of Maya than this one, putting both Max and Maya somewhere it in
the 30% range, but certainly abobe 19%.
I guess there is quite a big dependency on where you are conducting that
survey. Is it a portal that's more frequented by ArchViz people, games, more
Germans, Americans, Spanish, French? E.g. the Lighwave part of the pie seems
too big, I've heard figures as low as 2% rather than 7% for example. Houdini
ditto.
Also, as far as revenue is concerned, I think there's a larger "paying"
audience for Maya than there is for Max, which is often used by individuals (architects,
single digit man-count game studios, one-man-show freelancers) who show up as users in
such anonymous surveys, yet might not always be inclined to actually pay for the
software, I hear.

http://halfblog.net/2010/02/24/3ds-max-vs-blender-revealing-results-of-a-cg-software-user-survey/