Oh,

I forgot to mention:

The Foundry offers an educational license for Nuke Studio which has a few restrictions but is a great start to get into Nuke compositing without watermarks in HD1920, no student ID required just a bit of honesty in terms of not trying to use it on commercial jobs.

Alternatively, similar, Blackmagic Fusion. Both are wonderful options to get started.

I have both installed at home, it´s awesome to have when re-comping shots for your reel imho. (I don´t do finishing of commercial jobs at home but i spent a lot of time in front of that screen...)

Houdini can be accessed at a reasonable price for learning (around 200$?), that´s actually a very tempting deal because Houdini artists are very, very sought after and a good Houdini artist can ask significantly more than the average 3d artist. Learning Houdini is actually a very good career choice. Until everybody does it :-)

The Adobe Photoshop accessibility options are general knowledge now, monthly subscription stuff. Nagging cloud log-in. Not a permanent license, just a subscription to temporary access...

Blender. I`d go with Blender nowadays if i were a kid. Had a teen intern show me what "old guy"
feels like just recently. Never managed to shake the feeling since...

Cheers,

tim