"To get anything working"

That's simply not true. Yes you can use some expressions here and there,
and some of it is the houdini way. Once you learn expression they make your
life easier. I personally use Evernote to write them down, eventually you
will learn them.

The setup you described can be done with no expressions at all.. Up to you
though ;)