> On 16 Feb 2017, at 09:29, Laurence Dodd <laure...@porkpie.tv> wrote:
>
> I've been looking at houdini, liking it a lot, but what houses in London are
> switching to it? Or am I, once again choosing the underdog software
> (Combustion, anyone?)

I would say Combustion demise came when Autodesk bought them (like many other
packages) so I would rather are suspicious of AD owned products than
independent ones.

That said, and especially in London, there is a clear momentum towards Houdini
and I would dare to say pretty much everyone is either incorporated Houdini in
one way or another or it is at the starting point of such investment.

> Also, if I recommend it as the main software where I usually work, will they
> be able to get Houdini people that are generalists, are enough of us
> switching?

That is a big change even for a small studio, you may want to consider your
options to do a nice and orderly transition… probably hire a Houdini
experienced and enthusiastic guy to help you move towards whatever is your
requirement.

I would suggest to start putting in place the software for the backbone of the
production, collecting assets animated in Softimage, rendering from Houdini
using any of the available render engines and make sure you keep your FX in
Houdini and render them as you want. (I am using Redshift on Houdini right now)

Then start putting animation in the mix, especially since H16 has a major
overhaul in that field I am sure you will be surprised how capable it is
already.

The bad news is, hiring generalist is as not too disimilar as hiring Softimage
generalists, not as easy as Maya/Max of course.. that said, talk to Bournemouth
University as they keep producing amazing talent.

For references of what others are doing with Houdini regarding animation and
transitioning out from Softimage, check SHED…
https://sidefx.com/community/sheds-houdini-animation-pipeline/

Hope it helps
jb