I don't think we'll see new comprehensive DCC applications in the 3D space,
other than possibly Fabric Engine if they decide to go in that direction.

The 1990s taught us it's a very expensive, time consuming, high risk,
resource intensive effort that sells to a limited market.  Most of these
applications took 3-4 years to engineer a new core and only Softimage did a
complete ground-up rewrite on that schedule (with Microsoft money to burn).
The others borrowed pieces of existing technology.  Once these apps hit the
market, it was another few years of lean cash flow until industry trusted
them enough to adopt for general use.  That's another way of saying you need
at least 5 years of funding to undertake such an effort.

The industry has evolved and expanded since the 1990s, but prices have
plummeted.   Maya was originally released with MSRP of $35,000 USD.
Softimage at $13,995 USD.  You have to sell a lot more licenses these days
to recoup costs.

Another issue is the market has fragmented so much each specialty is
steering towards it's own dedicated toolset.  While new DCC's are desired,
they don't appear to be a practical option.  Going against the established
players is taking on a field of giants - and they have a good number of
patents for really important technology too.  To compete in today's market,
you need a different formula to cause enough disruption backed by someone
with great ambition and cash.  Elon Musk is probably the most recent
example, but despite all the resources, you can see how long and difficult
it has been for Tesla to penetrate the market.  Software isn't automobiles,
but the analogy holds.

Matt