I also don't mind the posts, apart from the hope of some entirely new equally flexible as unfriendly DCC,
to me Houdini represents the best hope for later.
(later-later... for when SI would not run, or or for when Houdini would significantly revamp VOP, while hoping and pushing for the latter )

    maya is just too painful for a lot of things...

Indeed, it can also be a mouthful for a variety of things, notably for particles ...

Can anyone determine what the following describes just by looking at it?

    vector $n=unit(particleShape1.normal);
    vector $p=particleShape1.position;
    $n=rot($n,dnoise(0.5*$p),noise(0.5*$p+100));
    particleShape1.normal=$n;
    vector $v=particleShape1.velocity;
    vector $u=unit($v);
    float $m=mag($v);
    vector $vn=dot($u,$n)*$n;
    vector $vt=$u-$vn;
    float $bias=0.25;
    float $conserve=0.96;
    particleShape1.velocity=$conserve*$m*unit($vn*$bias+$vt);

If we were looking at high-level nodes made of other nodes, made of other nodes...  for describing the same effect,
we could, simply by looking at the node graph.

Shouldn't we be way past describing effects in text editors by now?
Just a thought.