I was told by the Animal Logic boys that they only made the move over to
Maya from XSI on the latest Lego show, but even then XSI had to be retained
for a number of shots.

I can't see the harm in using XSI for specific reasons (as long as chief
amongst those reasons isn't nostalgia).

There seems to be a consensus in this thread (and the multitude of others
like it) ref growing your knowledge with regards to alternative options.
That's the main thing that's important. When we're in our late teens/early
twenties, the best quality we have is open mindedness. Keep that middle
aged 'been there, seen it, done it' attitude at bay and there's plenty of
ways of transitioning on with grace. ;)