Houdini is still to technical to even start using. Blender I have actually
looked at and it doesn't look half as bad as Maya, but it also very much
depends on where you are working or aspire to work.

Maya is a ticket to work in most places these days I guess, but it is also
certain to drive you mad, and hate going to work everyday.

Honestly I would love to work with Houdini, and might even sit down and try and
learn it some day, but it is still damn hard to start using, so downtime is
considerable.

MB