Pardon me for intruding, but I have to agree with Jonathan here.

It used to be that developers worked to make better tools and make them more
accessible to the average artist (and I am not talking about Kais Powertools
;), but that path seems to have been abandoned in the pursuit of better and
more advanced tools, and letting it up to the users to get a degree in rocket
science to be able to wield said tools at all.

Houdini is probably the best example of this. I know a lot of effort has gone
in to making it more accessible, but to my knowledge it still requires a fair
amount of insight into expression syntax and scripting plus more than basic
math end vector knowhow to get even simple things done.

I understand your position (stated in earlier threads) that the increased
demands on production requires more complex solutions/tools, but I don't buy
the premise that it also has(!) to become more difficult to use. Good UI devs
could alleviate that and make even really complex stuff accessible to the least
technical artist in the room if ressources were made available, ie the
management and dev team leads concur it would be a good idea. I am going out on
a limb and guessing it might often come down to this - spend ressources on
making the tool more accessible or spend them on making more and better
tools... In reality I think in all fairness they try and balance it while
keeping a keen eye on their userbase and potential for increasing it.

What remains is that people like me find Houdini way too technical for
practical use (the steep learning curve) and as such I have not delved into it
for real yet. I will for sure, because I think it is probably the only major 3D
DCC which is really evolving and making groundbreaking tools available to the
users, so it will very likely inherit the world, but for me, and probably many
others, as Jonathan probably indicates, it would do so much faster if it was
made even easier to use :)

And that would mean I would get to spend less time in Maya which honestly makes
me short of breath to the point of needing to vomit, almost every day.

Just my two kr (the coin we use here)

Have a nice weekend all - Morten