Hope it helps.
  We track our assets using a line of JSON that is stored under the
ROOT_NUL of the asset, this stores the asset name, type, path, what project
it goes to etc.

All of our tools read this JSON line and interpret it for us, and we have
coded some nice front-end tools so that the animator doesn't really need to
use the outliner much.

Coming from Softimage, I was shocked at how name dependent Maya was, and
how hopelessly crazy the outliner can become with all of the SETS and the
super long name spaces.

So we basically worked around it, but yah... every one of our assets has
identical naming for the ROOT_NUL and for the basic structure.  Its that
JSON line that has the real asset info.