Hola,

> But the goal was to have the exact same solr WAR, just copied to
> different names... so we need some way to find out the <name> in
> <name>.war

There's no portable way of doing that, quite on purpose: the webapp is
supposed to run the same independent of its server admin-dependent
deployment details like WAR (or no WAR at all in the case of a
filesystem or DB deployment) packaging.

Another approach to consider, then, is using the server's JNDI
resources.  The code in the WAR would be the same, looking up the
configuration file URL (or any other JNDI resource) using the
java:comp/env space (which is different for every webapp, and portable
across all J2EE servers/servlet containers), but the server's
configuration file would specify different values for different
webapps.  It's not zero configuration like just copying a WAR would
be, but fairly close.

Yoav