Sorry, I missed the original mail.   Hoss has got it right.

Personally I'd love to see acts_as_solr definitively come into the solr-ruby fold.

Regarding your questions:

: 1. What are other alternatives are available for ruby integration with solr
: other than acts-as_solr plugin.

acts_as_solr is purely for ActiveRecord (database O/R mapping) integration with Solr, such that when you create/update/delete records they get taken care of in Solr also.

For pure Ruby access to Solr without a database, use solr-ruby. The 0.01 gem is available as "gem install solr-ruby", but if you can I'd recommend you tinker with the trunk codebase too.

: 2. acts_as_solr plugin - does it support highlighting feature

This depends on which acts_as_solr you've grabbed. As Hoss mentioned, there are various flavors of it floating around. I've promised to speak about acts_as_solr at RailsConf next month, so I'll be working to get that under control even if that means resurrecting my initial hack and making it part of solr-ruby and hoping that the other implementations floating out there would like to collaborate on a definitive version built into the Solr codebase.

: 3. performance benchmark for acts_as_solr plugin available if any

What kind of numbers are you after? acts_as_solr searches Solr, and then will fetch the records from the database to bring back model objects, so you have to account for the database access in the picture as well as Solr.

        Erik