On 8/21/07, Peter Manis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am a little confused how you have things setup, so these meta data
> files contain certain information and there may or may not be a pdf,
> xls, doc that it is associated with?

Yes, you have it right.

If that is the case, if it were me I would write something to parse
> the meta data files, and if there is a binary file associated with it
> submit it using the url I showed you.  If the meta data is just that
> and has no associated documents submit it in XML form.  The script
> shouldn't be  too complicated, but that would depend on the complexity
> of the meta data you are parsing.
>
> To give you an idea how I use it, we have hundreds of documents in
> PDF, DOC, XLS, HTML, TXT, CSV, and PPT formats.  When a document is to
> be indexed by solr we look at the extension, if it is a txt or
> html,htm we read the data in and submit it with the xml handler.  If
> the document is one of the binary formats we submit it with the url I
> showed you.  All information about these files is stored in a database
> and some of the 'documents' in the database are just links to external
> documents.  In that case we are only indexing a description, title,
> and category.
>
> You are correct, it would overwrite the data by doing an update unless
> you parsed the meta data, and if you are parsing the meta data you
> might as well just parse it from the start and index once.
>
> How are you handling these meta data files right now?  are they simply
> xml files like in the solr example where you are just running the bash
> script on or is something parsing the contents already?

Yes, I am running a similar bash script to index these meta-data xml docs.
The big downside in using the url way is that, for one thing, it has the
characters-limit (1024, is it?). So, if I had a lot of meta-data, or even a
long description for a record, that might not work all that well. I am
guessing you haven't run into this issue yet, right?

- Pete

The proposed schema additions might not make sense for everyone, since the
actual requirements might be more complex than just that (i.e., say you want
to extract text, structure it in various elements, update your doc xml, and
then index). But, it goes well with Solr's search-engine-in-a-box
perception, but now with full-text- prefix to it. Another way I can see it
happen, is to extend the default handler and still take in a xml doc, but
look out for, say, a field name '<file>'. From here on, within the handler,
you can validate the filename, handle it anyways you want (create extra
elements, create '<pdf>' for pdf files and '<html>' for html files, etc..),
etc... This strips out having to deal with if/else scripting outside of
Solr.

Rao