On 14-Sep-07, at 3:38 PM, Tom Hill wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for clarifying what has been a bit of a black box to me.

A couple of questions, to increase my understanding, if you don't mind.

If I am only using fields with multiValued="false", with a type of "string" or "integer" (untokenized), does solr automatically use approach 2? Or is
this something I have to actively configure?

It'll happen automatically.

And is approach 2 better than 1? Or vice versa? Or is the answer "it
depends"? :-)

It depends :)

If, as I suspect, the answer was "it depends", are there any general
guidelines on when to use or approach or the other?

Yeah, it usually depends on how many unique facet values there are, how many documents are returned in the query, and how much memory you have. 1 is usually faster when there are few terms; 2 is usually faster when there are many terms.

Things can be further complicated by additional parameters, like facet.enum.cache.minDf (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ SimpleFacetParameters#head-3ea6fc5d1056447295c38c9675e35ce06fd95f97)

-Mike