I am sure this is 101 question, but I am bit confused about indexing xml data
using SOLR.

I have rich xml content (books) that need to searched at granular levels
(specifically paragraph and sentence levels very accurately, no
purpose.  I have built this app in previous versions (using other search
engines) indexing the text twice, (1) where every paragraph was a virtual
document and (2) where every sentence was a virtual document  -- both extracted
from the source file (which was a singe xml file for the entire book).  I have
of course thought about using an XML engine eXists or Xindices, but I am prefer
to the stability and user base and performance that Lucene/SOLR seems to have,
and also there is a large body of text that is regular documents and not well
formed XML as well.

I am brand new to SOLR (one day) and at a basic level understand SOLR's nice
simple xml scheme to add documents:

<add>
  <doc>
    <field name="foo1">foo value 1</field>
    <field name="foo2">foo value 2</field>
  </doc>
  <doc>...</doc>
</add>

But my problem is that I believe I need to perserve the xml markup at the
paragraph and sentence levels, so I was hoping to create a content field that
could just contain the source xml for the paragraph or sentence respectively.
There are reasons for this that I won't go into -- alot of granular work in
this app, accessing pars and sens.

Obviously an XML mechanism that could leverage the xml structure (via XPath or
XPointers) would work great.  Still I think Lucene can do this in a field level
way-- and I also can't imagine that users who are indexing XML documents have
to go through the trouble of striping all the markup before indexing?
Hopefully I missing something basic?

It would be great to pointed in the right direction on this matter?

I think I need something along this line:

<add>
  <doc>
    <field name="foo1">value 1</field>
    <field name="foo2">value 2</field>
  </doc>
</add>

Maybe the overall question -- is what is the best way to index XML content
using SOLR -- is all this tag stripping really necessary?

Thanks for any help,

Dave