From: Kevin Xiao [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:22 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: solr highlighting

Hi there,

I am new to solr. I want search term to be highlighted on the results. I
thought it is pretty simple, but could not make it work. I read a lot of solr
documents and mail archives (I wish there is a search function for this, we are
talking about solr, aren’t we? ☺).

Solrconfig.xml
  <requestHandler name="pm" class="solr.DisMaxRequestHandler" >
    <!-- default values for query parameters -->
     <lst name="defaults">
       <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
       <int name="rows">100</int>
       <str name="qf">
        PMID AUTH ARTICLE_prefix_token ABST
       </str>
       <str name="pf">
        ARTICLE
       </str>
       <str name="qs">1</str>
       <str name="bf">
        recip(rord(DATE_1),1,1000,1000)
       </str>

      <!-- try highlighter: ABST indexed and stored  -->
     <str name="hl">true</str>
     <str name="hl.fl">ABST</str>

     </lst>
  </requestHandler>

We use a Java client, which is nothing but
CommonsHttpSolrServer(“http://server:port/solr”), and populates the result to
some data structure. Without the two lines for highlighter, I have results
coming back, but after I add the two lines, the result is empty.

I also used the admin utility, but I saw the ABST values are unchanged, but at
the end of document added:
<lst name="highlighting">
−<lst>
−<arr name="ABST">
−<str>
-gestational anemia as a consequence of a reduction in the number of primitive
</str>
</arr>
</lst>
…
</lst>
The content of ABST of highlighting is much smaller than that of the original.
I am guessing it tries to find the highlighted term’s position. So what should
I do to get the highlighted ABST?

Thanks,
- Kevin