Hoss:Your are right. It has a version byte written first. This can be
used for any changes that come later..So , when we introduce any
change to the format we can rely on that. If/When we upgrade the
format we must ensure that it is backward compatible .

The format can be used by SolrJ clients as well and they can get all
the perf benefits. I shall document it in the wiki.
--Noble

--
--Noble Paul