Quick update: the NPE was related to the way in which I passed params into
the Query via solrconfig.xml. It works fine for single sharded, but
something about it was masking the unique ID field in a multisharded
environment. Anyway, I was able to fix that by cleaning up the request
handler config:

<requestHandler name="/aggr" class="solr.SearchHandler">
                <lst name="appends">
                        <str name="fq">{!AggregationPostFilter count=Count
spend=INVOICE_AMOUNT}</str>
                        <str name="fl">[AggregationStats]</str>
                </lst>
   </requestHandler>

Now my post filter completes without errors (!) but it doesn't work - it
returns every single document specified by the query (q) param. It isn't
aggregating. (Broken record) It still works correctly on a single shard
collection. With this query, it should do exactly what the collapsing filter
does (and yes, that works perfectly):

.../aggr?q=*:*&fl=VENDOR_NAME&sort=VENDOR_NAME+asc