ah. very nice Diego. Thanks.

On 1/6/2017 1:52 PM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) wrote:

Hi Jeffery,
I submitted a patch to the README of the learning to rank example folder,
trying to explain better how to produce a training set given a log with
interaction data.

Patch is available here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9929
And you can see the new version of the README here:
https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/blob/master-ltr/solr/contrib/ltr/example/README.md

Please let me know if you have comments or more questions.
Cheers
Diego

From: solr-user@lucene.apache.org<mailto:solr-user@lucene.apache.org> At:
01/06/17 03:57:29
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org<mailto:solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How to train the model using user clicks when use ltr(learning to
rank) module?

In the Assemble training data part: the third column indicates the relative
importance or relevance of that doc
Could you please give more info about how to give a score based on what user
clicks?

Hi Jeffery,

Give your questions more detail and there may be more feedback; just a
suggestion.
About above,

    some examples of assigning "relative" weighting to training data
    user click info gathered (all assumed but similar to omniture monitoring)
        - position in the result list
        - above/below the fold
        - result page number
    As a information engineer, you might see 2 attributes here: a) user
perseverance b) effort to find the result

    From there, the attributes have a correlation relationship that is not
linear and directly proportional I think:
            easy to find outweighs user perseverance every time because it
reduces the need for such
             extensive perseverance, page #3 for example, doesn't mitigate
effort, it drives effort  towards lower user perseverance need value pairs.
    Ok. That is damn confusing. But its what I would want to do, use the pair
in a manner that reranks a document as if the perseverance and effort were
balanced and positioned ... "relative" to the other training data. What that
equation is, will take some more effort....

i'm not sure this response is helpful at all, but i'm going to go with it
because I recognize all of it from AOL, Microsoft and Comcast work. Before the
days of ML in Search.