Hi -

We use separate solr install and data folders with a shared schema/config
(configsets) in multi-cores setup, it seems the configsets need to be
deployed in both places (we are running solr 6.4.0)?

for example,

solr is installed in /opt/solr, thus there is folder:

/opt/solr/server/solr/configsets

we separate the data into a different partition, thus there is:

/mysolrdata/solr/data/configsets

At first, I only deployed the project configsets to the solr install folder
/opt/solr/server/solr/configsets :

/opt/solr/server/solr/configsets/myproject_configs

then when I create a core, solr complains it could not load config from
/mysolrdata/solr/data/configsets/myproject_configs (the data folder):

curl
'http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=abc&instanceDir=abc&configSet=myproject_configs'
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
name="error-class">org.apache.solr.common.SolrException</str><str
name="root-error-class">org.apache.solr.common.SolrException</str></lst><str
name="msg">Error CREATEing SolrCore 'abc': Unable to create core [abc]
Caused by: Could not load configuration from directory
/mysolrdata/solr/data/configsets/myproject_configs</str><int
name="code">400</int></lst>
</response>

So next, I moved the configs to /mysolrdata/solr/data/configsets, but it now
complains it could not load config from the install folder
/opt/solr/server/solr/configsets/myproject_configs with the same error.

I had to copy the same config set to both folders ( I eventually did a
symlink from the /opt/solr/server/solr/configsets/myproject_configs to
/mysolrdata/solr/data/configsets), and it worked.

I wonder if I have missed any settings to allow me only deploy the configset
at one place: either my data folder or the install folder, I would assume
the benefit is obvious.

Thanks
Renee