I have a solr cloud cluster (v5.2.1 on redhat linux) that uses the default
location for solr home: (install dir)/server/solr. I would like to move the
index data somewhere else to make upgrades easier. When I set a SOLR_HOME
variable  solr appears to be ignoring it - and even creating a solr.xml file
in (install dir)/server/solr. Is solr doing some auto detect instead of
using the defined SOLR_HOME variable?

pre-reqs:
- copied all index data to new solr home
- placed a solr.xml file in new solr home
- set SOLR_HOME & SOLR_PID_DIR in (install dir)/bin/solr.in.sh
- deleted solr.xml from default solr home

then restart solr nodes:
- the admin console still shows solr.solr.home as default
- solr.xml gets recreated in the default solr home folder

Anyone know what I'm missing?