I'm running into an issue with the initial CDCR bootstrapping of an existing
index. In short, after turning on CDCR only the leader replica in the target
data center will have the documents replicated and it will not exist in any of
the follower replicas in the target data center. All subsequent incremental
updates made to the source datacenter will appear in all replicas in the target
data center.

A little more details:

I have two clusters setup, a source cluster and a target cluster. Each cluster
has only one shard and three replicas. I used the configuration detailed in the
Source and Target sections of the reference guide as-is with the exception of
updating the zkHost
(https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_1/cross-data-center-replication-cdcr.html#cdcr-configuration-2).

The source data center has the following nodes:
        solr01-a, solr01-b, and solr01-c

The target data center has the following nodes:
        solr02-a, solr02-b, and solr02-c

Here are the steps that I've done:

1. Create collection in source and target data centers

2. Add a number of documents to the source data center

3. Verify:

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s
$i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*' | jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 81
    solr01-b: 81
    solr01-c: 81
    solr02-a: 0
    solr02-b: 0
    solr02-c: 0

4. Start CDCR:

    $ curl 'solr01-a:8080/solr/mycollection/cdcr?action=START'

5. See if target data center has received the initial index

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s
$i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*' | jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 81
    solr01-b: 81
    solr01-c: 81
    solr02-a: 0
    solr02-b: 0
    solr02-c: 81

    note: only -c has received the index

6. Add another document to the source cluster

7. See how many documents are in each node:

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s
$i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*' | jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 82
    solr01-b: 82
    solr01-c: 82
    solr02-a: 1
    solr02-b: 1
    solr02-c: 82

As you can see, the initial index only made it to one of the replicas in the
target data center, but subsequent incremental updates have appeared everywhere
I would expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This message and any attachment may contain information that is confidential
and/or proprietary. Any use, disclosure, copying, storing, or distribution of
this e-mail or any attached file by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.