Thanks Erick,

Silly oversight on my part.  I went into the admin panel and used the core
selector to view information about the core and it was running.
I did some more thinking about it and restarted solr and looked at the core
admin panel where I could see that the startTime was "-".

So the problem is operator error.  I didn't think about how the core
selector actually sends a query to the core to get stats, which of course
starts the core.

Tom