Zookeeper was created because fault-tolerant algorithms are extremely hard to
test and get correct. Maybe the hardest thing in computing. Using a trusted
implementation frees up lots of developer time.

To get an idea of the difficulty, read through the kinds of things fixed in the
Zookeeper release notes.

https://zookeeper.apache.org/releases.html

Elasticsearch does not have a good record on fault-tolerance. I haven’t checked
recently, but it was losing updates during leader elections for several years
worth of software releases.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org