For a full forced merge (mistakenly named “optimize”), the worst case disk space
is 3X the size of the index. It is common to need 2X the size of the index.

When I worked on Ultraseek Server 20+ years ago, it had the same merge behavior.
I implemented a disk space check that would refuse to merge if there wasn’t
enough
free space. It would log an error and send an email to the admin.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org