I would add a new field with the new behavior. Then any document with
content in the new field would not need to be deleted. Find the deletable
content with:

*:* -new_field:*

I generally add a field that records when the document was indexed or
updated. That can be really handy.

    <field name="indexed_datetime" type="pdate" stored="true" indexed="true"
           default="NOW" docValues="true" />

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org