jetty supports http gzip and I've added it to solr before in my own
installs (and submitted patches to do so by default to solr) but I
don't know about the handling for solrj.

IME compression helps a little, sometimes a lot, and never hurts.
Even the admin interface benefits a lot from regular old http gzip