There are all sorts of problems with the primary/secondary approach. How do you
know
the secondary is working? How do you deal with cold caches on the secondary
when it
suddenly gets lots of load?

Instead, size the cluster with the number of hosts you need, then add one. Send
traffic
to all of them. If any of them goes down, you have the capacity to handle the
traffic.
This is called “N+1 provisioning”.

This was our rule at Netflix a dozen years ago, running Solr 1.3. I do it the
same way
today with large sharded clusters, one extra per shard.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org